Monday, June 6, 2022

Spring into Summer

A couple of years ago, I bought an old Martin Birdhouse from a neighbor.  If you know Martins, you know that the boxes are mounted on a long pole, 16 feet in the air. This accomplished by using two 8 foot 4x4 posts and then a hinge mechanism allows for the house to be dropped down annually to clean out the old nesting.
When I went to pick up the house, the homeowners were frantically trying to dig up the lower post. I said I didn't care about it, but I took upper the 8 foot cedar 4x4. I knew I was locating the house on a tall stump, but figured I would find a use for the 4x4.  Turns out it is cedar, these days, nearly worth its weight in gold. 😉
So, for about 2 years, this post has laid I the ground. 
This Spring I am enjoying a very vigorous hop vine growing along the edge of the back deck. Hops love to climb. Domestic hops are grown on 20 for ropes.
It dawned on me that I could use this 4x4 as a Hop Pole.
I attached it to the railing on the back deck and tried to get the vines to latch on to the pile. Time will tell if I am successfully this year.  I may have to add some ropes for better grip.
But for now, the hops are growing fast, and hopefully will fund that pole as a good stairway towards heaven.

The yard looks rough, No Mow May 
&
 I need to get busy with the weed whip to clean up the edges.


🌱🌱🌱


I finally got over to the cemetery to plant the urn at Dad & Ev's bench. As I was sitting on the bench enjoying a Summer Shandy, I paid attention to the giant Maple Tree just in front of me.  That tree has probably been there nearly 100 years. It provides good shade and the birds were many & varied making use of the shelter.

I planted a bush at my grandparents grave. I'm hoping the deer do not like Sweet Woodruff.
I forgot to spray it before I left, fingers crossed that it survives until I get there on Wednesday. 


♥️.  ♥️.  ♥️

Such pretty first bloomers on the Peony mound.  I think this one is Merry Mayshine. Sadly, the blooms only last a few day, but I love their deep red petals and golden centers.

Today the Lupines are blooming. These came from my bridge friend Carol. She brought the seeds home from Canada and grew them in her yard.
They really want to spread.


A big fat bumblebee was really busy getting his work done.


Well done dude.
🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

I'm testing a new product this year.  A potting medium called Glee. 
 "Glee Potting Mix with HydraFiber Technology for Better Growing | Expands to 25 qt. from 0.4 to 1 cu ft | Lightweight and Compact, Used by Professional Growers"

It's very light weight, I planted 3 hanging planters with Verbena and this product.

So far, so good.

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails