Saturday, May 7, 2022

Eastern Bluebirds


Eastern Bluebirds put their nests in natural cavities or in nest boxes or other artificial refuges. Among available natural cavities, bluebirds typically select old woodpecker holes in dead pine or oak trees, up to 50 feet off the ground.

Clutch Size: 2-7 eggs

Number of Broods: 1-3 broods

Incubation Period: 11-19 days


I have my fingers crossed hoping that the Bluebirds will nest here in my yard, 
but it was fun to see one sitting out front grooming.  




As I was watching this little beauty the other day, I was remembering one year when Dad and Ev arrived in Wisconsin in the Spring to open Gus & Lois's cabin in The Barrens.  They were shocked to find many Bluebirds in the woodstove.  Somehow, they had gotten into the stack and then did not escape.  Dad and Ev were devasted.  I wasn't really a birder back in those days, so while I was sympathetic, I sure didn't get it.  Watching this little beauty on Friday, I had the realization of how horrible it would be to find the dead bodies of so many of these little birds.
Now I get it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails