Thursday, December 2, 2010

No Fear

I was about to walk out on the back deck this afternoon when I noticed a Downy girl pecking away at the suet feeder.  I grabbed my camera and got within about a foot of her before she spooked.  I guess eating that suet is more important than being afraid.
I am quite sure that this is a female Downy Woodpecker, but the bird books say that the female Hairy Woodpecker has a smaller beak also, so I could be wrong.
Downy belly feathers
Spotted back feathers, and the beginning of dark bars on  outer tail feathers.
She was quite brave.  The snow was crunchy under my feet, wasn't like I was sneaking up on her.
Check out her tongue.  Slurping up that suet.
A conspicuous tuft of nasal bristles help identify the Downy from the Hairy Woodpecker.
 ~~
It was cold today and they say a good snow is coming tomorrow.  
We'll see.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails