Saturday, August 31, 2024

The year was 1997

 I just read about a remembrance being held today, on the 27th anniversary of Princess Diana's death. In August of 1997, I was traveling with Dad & Ev and Uncle Chris. On this day, we were staying in a very nice hotel in Arlington, Virginia. Uncle Chris was joining his fellow veterans for a convention of the Timberwolves 104th division of the US army. My uncle Chris was a decorated veteran who fought in world war II.  I remember being in my hotel room with the TV on and hearing the shocking news of Diana's death.  

I was a fan of Princess Diana's.  I admired how she handled herself and I also was amazed at the intensity of her dedication to charity work.

When I think of that day I can clearly see the hotel room decor and I remember how very sad I felt. 

Our trip, before arriving in Arlington had taken us by car from Des Moines, Iowa to Joplin, Missouri and then on Eastward to Arlington, with many, many stops along the way. From Arlington, we started back West, with our next destination as Dad's reunion with his 62nd battalion Navy Seabees in Youngstown, Ohio.  Dad was an Iwo Jima survivor and the chief of his reunion group.

I think that we were on the road together almost 2 weeks and we enjoyed each other's company the entire time. We laughed a lot and had nice picnics for our lunches at wherever we happened to find ourselves. The Timberwolf convention and the Seabee reunion were the highlights for Dad and Uncle Chris and I was honored to be there with them.

Our entire trip was uneventful as to travel issues. Ev had done the work of plotting out our daily segments and arranging for motel accommodations.  I was the driver and banker.

It was a really memorable trip, in many ways, but today what I remember most, is that day in Arlington; hearing the sad news of Diana. Princess Di was only 36 years old when she died but she left a legacy of service and love of her family. 

We should all be so devoted to living a life of purpose. It wasn't easy for her, and she had her demons within and without. But she had joy in her life too.  Who can forget her taking a turn on the dance floor with John Travolta.

Anyway, today I am remembering Princess Diana.

👑 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails