Sunday, February 18, 2024

2024 February Fabric Patch Virtual Retreat

 This weekend was my virtual quilt retreat.  It started on Friday morning and ended on Sunday afternoon. 

This time, the lesson was 3D magic.  

Using light and dark colors to create the illusion.  It was a difficult technique for me.  

90 quilters were there on zoom. We had class every morning & every afternoon.

It was fun,  I learned a lot. I ended up making a table runner. It's not perfect but much better than I expected.  I started out by cutting 21 triangles, all the wrong size, and those went in the garbage.  That set me back.

In the end,  I'll have a useable runner once I add some backing and binding.   I sewed and unsewed a lot of little seams,  almost the whole thing is triangles about the size of a tostito corn chip.  

Crazy hard.  

The pattern is called Arches and Asteroids.



My starter.
I have never sewn so many small seams, made for a lot of 'starts'.

The piecing is done.

Construction photos below.  
The work starts at the bottom of the page.
Attaching the columns

Final layout

Saturday night's game was Wheel.

I didnt get to play becuase the repairman (brother Glenn) showed up to reattach my dryer vent.  I logged in again just in time for the fjnal round.

Trying to figure out how to fit these blocks together.


Trying see a table runner

Lots of seam ripping.
Lots! And Lots!

Half hexagons starting to look 3d ish.

Sometimes looking at my work in black & white is helpful.

Trimming the tips off a zillion triagles makes for a lot of confetti. 
I am finding these little triangles all over the house now.

Starting to se a pattern

Triangles are us. 
I made a little project board out of cardboard & the left over design board flannel (the back of a plastic tablecloth).
Vety handy for holding all the pieces.

More confetti.

I was not impressed.

This is what the picture shows.



Started cutting triangles from my strips. 21 triangles later, it dawns on me that I'm not doing it correctly.  Ugh. 21 triangles got tossed out.

Strip sewing, starting my process.

Watching to class tutorial.  Not understanding anything,

I was supposed to figure out a layout, but nothing is making sense to me.

I thought I picked the easiest pattern, and decided making it small might be easier too.
Well, after talking to others in the group, I think I picked one of the hardest patterns as it was all triangles and most of the other cubes, like the ones above,  had larger rhombus shapes that sewed together with less seams and less points. 

So it goes.
I enjoyed the weekend of sewing.
I will join the group again when they gather in October.
🪡🧵✂️

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails