Friday, December 31, 2021

The end of 2021, welcome 2022

Somewhere on-line I saw this list of questions about the past year.  I thought it might be a fun exercise to answer them.  

1. What makes this year unforgettable?
The continuing effect of Covid-19 on my life and on the world is what first comes to mind.  Not only the illness caused by the virus, the changing of lifestyles to avoid infection but also the response to available vaccine.  
2. What did you enjoy doing this year?
Reading on the back deck.  I spent some hours on the back deck reading with Barley in her cat condo enjoying the summer days.  Playing bridge on Zoom has been a lot of fun.  I get to play cards & keep in contact with my good friends.
3. What/who is the one thing/person you’re grateful for?
Vaccines.  The readily available vaccines were literally life saving.  I felt much less at risk for critical illness / death.
4. What’s your biggest win this year
I have lost some weight and regained a much healthier style of nutrition.  I have been seeing a nutritionist routinely to help me with my journey.  The simple idea of mindful eating has not only slowed me down, but created a heightened enjoyment of what I do eat.  Amazing.  The weight loss, combined with the magic of cortisone, has relieved much of the pain in my knee, making life much more enjoyable.
5. What did you read/watch/listen to that made the most impact this year? 
I watched several movies to expand my awareness of black lives.  I found myself repulsed by the unending discrimination & bigotry that exists in humans.
6. What did you worry about most and how did it turn out?
I have worried about my unvaccinated family contracting the virus.  Some have and while they are okay now, they were certainly quite ill.  I continue to worry about all who have refused to be vaccinated against the Covid virus.  
7. What was your biggest regret and why?
I still have not established a regular routine of exercise.  I have had some stretches of riding the stationary bike but I have not managed to sustain a routine, yet.
8. What’s one thing that changed about yourself?
I'll have to noodle on this one a bit, nothing comes to mind.
9. What surprised you the most this year?
The negative response to a vaccine that can prevent serious illness. I'm still puzzled.
My last bird photographs for 2021.
A male, Northern Cardinal, dive bomber.



Ring Out Wild Bells

"Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light:
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.
Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.
Ring out the grief that saps the mind,
For those that here we see no more;
Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
Ring in redress to all mankind.
Ring out a slowly dying cause,
And ancient forms of party strife;
Ring in the nobler modes of life,
With sweeter manners, purer laws.
Ring out the want, the care, the sin,
The faithless coldness of the times;
Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes,
But ring the fuller minstrel in.
Ring out false pride in place and blood,
The civic slander and the spite;
Ring in the love of truth and right,
Ring in the common love of good.
Ring out old shapes of foul disease;
Ring out the narrowing lust of gold;
Ring out the thousand wars of old,
Ring in the thousand years of peace."
―Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Happy New Year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails