Sunday, January 2, 2022

First birds

 The 1st bird I saw on New Year’s Day was a female Pileated Woodpecker.  The feeders were busy all day.  

An injured Mourning Dove spent a good part of her day sitting on the feeders platform. She's missing some beak and was favoring one leg. I don't suppose it will go easy for her.


The rest of the Doves love to perch around the edge of the heated water bath. 


Like ladies-aid at the hot tub.

A flock of Purple Finch showed up this week
The males are very flashy.


Today, 1/2/2022, is the Rice Lake bird count. I volunteered to count my feeder.

I counted 14 species in just a few hours. 

I watched a car pull up and park in front of the house, pull out binoculars and then record on a clipboard. One of many volunteers out counting in the area. I think she saw the Tufted Titmouse, her timing was good.

A good start to the new year.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails