Thursday, November 18, 2021

Rough start, better ending

I woke up this morning to the sound of someone knocking on the front door. 

It was just a little bit after 8 a.m. I wasn't expecting anyone but when I looked at the camera feed I saw it was the Culligan man. 

So I started my day by hustling out of bed, throwing on some things so I could answer the door before he drove off, and letting him in to change the water filter. 

Normally they call me the day before, but that didn't happen this week. 

While he was doing his work, I went in and put on my clothes.  I could tell he was taking longer than usual when he asked me where the main water shut-off was. I knew that was not a good question to be asked. 

What was happening was that when he turn the water back on there was no water pressure but we could hear water gushing under the house. 

I sent him on his way and started calling plumbers. 

If you read this blog you know that this is not something new. 
I assumed that another fitting had blown.

The first plumber that I called told me that they were booked solid until November 29th. She recommended that I call someone else but did offer that if I was not successful in finding someone else, I could call back after 4 and pay their after-hours emergency rate.

She gave me the name of another plumber and when I called I left a message. I was not hopeful. But within 15 minutes or so I had a call back and within an hour the plumber was here.

The young man was from Rice Lake and had attended school for plumbing at WITC (newly renamed to Northwood Technical College), our local Technical College.  This young man was acquainted with my type of problem and quickly diagnosed the location of the leak.  Griffin is a charming fellow, friendly & efficient. He is my new favorite person/plumber!  In about an hour my problem was repaired & he was on his way. 

Stressful start to my day.   
It was 30°F & very windy.  I'm sure it was not pleasant in the crawl space.
One more fitting replaced. I keep hoping that we have done them all,  but only time will tell. 

The Culligan man was worried he had caused the problem,  but I think just the shutting off of the water & then turning it on again was enough to blow out what was remaining of the corroded fitting.  I'm lucky it happened the way it did. I might have been gone for the day with water flooding the crawl space.  I called the Culligan office and asked that a message be given to the driver,  it was his first time here, and a rough start to his day.

🚿🪠🚿

I found a good spot for my wildlife seed block. 
I put it on the bird feeder platform just outside my bedroom window so I'll be able to see who comes and goes. 
It's the perfect solution for that feeder because once there is snow on the ground I do not trudge around through the snow to refill that feeder. 

I'm guessing the seed block will last most of the winter. 
It will be fun to see who finds it first.


 Barley might like sitting on the windowsill to watch the action. 


The day is ending better than it started. 

Later I'll be watching live stream basketball, 
Charli's Varsity team begins their season tonight.
 I had hoped to go to the game,  but that did not work out this day. 

It's nice to the have the water back in the pipes where it belongs.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails