Sunday, February 9, 2020

Hairy Woodpecker

I was siting in the living room today editing basketball photos, it is snowing a little outside.
The bird feeders have had a few Woodpeckers, a few Chickadees but not much business today.
I heard a bird hit the window really hard.
I looked out the window and saw a Hairy Woodpecker on the ground under the window.
He was moving his legs a little but seemed stunned.
I hustled into my snow boots, grabbed a cardboard box and a towel and went out to see if I could get to him.  The deck steps were a little risky since I don't keep them shoveled, and there was a big frozen mound of snow along the house, but once I got over that, I could pick up the little bird.

I thought maybe his neck was broken, he seemed so limp.  He was blinking his eyes though. I was going to keep him inside where it is warm and see what happens. Poor sweet thing.
I taped the flaps of the box down so I could see in but he wouldn't be able to fly out without my help, I didn't want a bird loose in the house.

I went back to editing photos, I checked on him about every 5 minutes.
I started wondering what I was going to do if he didn't die and didn't start moving. 



I was giving up,

20 minutes later I heard movement in the box, he was back on his feet. 
I took him outside, opened the box and after just a few seconds, he flew away! 
I couldn't believe my eyes! 
I saved his little life.
💓🐦

This morning I had listened to a podcast about the wonder of making eye contact with a wild animal.
Seriously, I am filled with awe.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails