Monday, August 28, 2017

A Giant

Yellow Swallowtail butterflies are quite common in this area.  I see them off and on all summer.
About a week ago, I noticed a yellow and black swallowtail in the yard that was bigger and blacker.
I did my research on https://wisconsinbutterflies.org.
I learned that this is the largest butterfly in Wisconsin, sometimes measuring 5 inches of wingspan.
This is not a common butterfly in my area, but hard to miss once you recognize the marks.
 Both times I have seen this butterfly, it has been on the verbena.
Red verbena will be on my annuals list every year to be sure.

The Hibiscus that I planted a couple of weeks ago, seems to be doing well.
The second bloom is open now with a 3rd partially open.
The blooms don't last long, but they are spectacular when open.
 I hope this plant turns out to be hardy enough to make it through the winter.
I'm already planning how to give it some insulation to help it survive.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails