Friday, February 10, 2023

Spelling Bee and then Basketball

The CESA 11 Regional Spelling Bee was held on Thursday, 2/9/2023.  This was the first time since February of  2020 that the bee was held in person.

This is the 6th time I have Pronounced.  
I started in 2016 and missed the 2 years during the Pandemic.


For the 6th time, my name was misspelled on the program.


Our Champion was from Spooner.

This year, they combined the Baldwin & Turtle Lake Spelling Bees which gave us 30 spellers competing for 4 places.  The kids did great and we ended up with a great speller as Champion.
The top 4 get to attend the state spelling bee in Madison.  I'll be watching to see how our group does.

Every year, I am a little disappointed that our spellers do not take advantage of the information that is available to them for each word.  If you have ever watch the National Scripps Bee, the kids ask for part of speech, language origin, meaning and the sentence, and to have the word repeated, over and over again.  I am will to do the same at our Bee, but they have to ask me.

This year, one student asked me for the meaning of the word he was to spell.  And, I accidentally read the wrong meaning, I read the meaning for the next word on the list.  Luckily, he spelled his word correctly.  I just hope he doesn't go through life thinking that his word meant something other that what it does.
If he would have misspelled, I would have announced my error and we would have given him another chance with the next word on the list.  My heart skipped a beat, or three, when I realized what I had done.
 
The Bee moved right along, even with all of those kids.  I was done in time for a quick stop at DQ as reward for my pronouncing and then home to gather up my camera and head to basketball.

๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€

The Luck teams took on Shell Lake at Shell Lake.  An easy 30 minute drive for me.  Last time these two girls' teams met up, it was a 52 to 19 loss for our Cardinals.
This game was much different.  Tied many times throughout the game, our girls lost by a 48 to 41 margin and they were in it until the last few minutes when Shell Lake took the advantage.

Stella at the free throw line.
Focused.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails