Sunday, March 15, 2015

There is Luck and then there is being lucky

You can put wings on a pig, but you don't make it an eagle.

I am going to tell you a story about being prepared and seeing eagles and enjoying a Spring day.
A friend told me it is good luck to see an eagle, so I went searching for a quote that would be appropriate to open begin my tale.  Most were too religious or too deep for me, but I don't think you can argue with the one I have chosen.
***
And so here it begins.
Friday I was driving to Luck to meet Gus and Lois for a celebration supper.  We were to celebrate the closing on the sale of their old house and a kind of new beginning for them.
I left the house not thinking about photography, just thinking of spending a nice evening and Friday Fish Fry.
The weather has been so delightful, such an early Spring with most of the snow already a thing of the past.  Some areas are greening up already and a few plants are sprouting.
As I was approaching Cumberland, the town about half-way between my home and theirs, I saw something I had never seen before.
About 10 eagles were out in a field where there were a couple of deer carcasses, and me without my 'big girl' camera.  So, with the camera in my cell phone, I took a few pictures.
Full zoom on my cell phone camera produces a fuzzy focus, but you get the idea I hope.

Some of the birds remained on the carcass while others flew and returned.
I counted 10 eagles either on the ground or in the trees behind.  
There was sparing and vocalizing and most were bloody eating.
I was so disappointed not to have my good camera along but seeing this was truly amazing.
A short video, with terrible sound due to wind and traffic, gives you another view.
Eventually, I continued on my way 
to enjoy delicious fish at the Luck E Tavern & Supper Club in Luck, WI.
Aaron and Angie happened to be there to eat too, so it was a nice family visit.
I drove home continuing to think about how I left my good camera at home to make that drive, 
and I do not think I'll make that mistake ever again.
I was very lucky to see all those eagles; 
next time I'll be sure I am prepared & lucky enough to have my good camera along as well.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails