Monday, April 15, 2019

Spring quilt camp

It was a great weekend to sew, rain & snow and mud were constants in Solon Springs, but we were comfy inside with our sewing pals.
I went with a list of 15 projects.  I didn't get anywhere near all of those done, but a couple of big ones are now off the list.

First was to bind a quilt that I started about 5 years ago with the intent to give it to Laila.  I have not idea if she has given up hope of ever getting the quilt, but later today, 
it will arrive at her house in Colorado.
I can't believe how I missed the corner on this stitching and then have to post it.
Ugh.
 Ha' det godt means Have It Good in Danish and is the way my Aunt Johanne signs off her emails to me.  I like it and have started using it myself.


Fun machine quilting.

A quilt made of batik fabrics using a pattern called Yellow Brick Road.
This project took most of the day on Thursday, I did do some other cutting but not much sewing before heading home to sleep.

Thursday was a rainy day.
Next on my list,was to make some microwave bowl potholders out of some fabric that came from my friend Janice's stash.  These were fun to make and went quick once I had the steps in my head.








I think I made 14 in all, I'll make some more as they are a nice little hostess gift, and I've made some adjustments to the pattern.

While I was inbetween projects, friend Mary suggested I whip up a little pin cushion,
meet Henrietta.





This was a quick and fun project to do.
Isn't she so sweet?

Instruction for Henrietta
Normally, we have a lovely view of Lake St. Croix, but because of a major construction project at the motel, instead we only saw mud, big equipment and construction workers.
It caused some extra effort to haul all the quilting supplies up and down the flights of steps, but by next camp, that will be a distant memory.  And the motel staff was great about helping schlep machines & supplies up the steps.



Sandy is the 4th in our sewing group, she lives near Superior.
She spent most of her weekend working on a fun quilt.
I thought it looked like molecular diagrams, or honey combs.
Either way, it was a lovely quilt top.
Quilt top by Sandy W.

Sharon & Mary and I all made a matching credit card case
 to go with the wallets me made at last camp.
 Somehow my cork and fabric came up a little small.
I'm pretty sure I'll remake this at some point, but it is very functional as is.

These wallets and credit card cases are fun to make. I'm hoping to knock out a few more.

I've been going easy on the alcohol since my rapid heart beat deal,
but a Coors Light after a long day of sewing sure did taste great.
I was happy to confirm that I still love beer.


Kristi, who runs quilt camp, brought in some lovely tulips and pussy willows.
Such a nice spring bouquet.
It reminded me that I had recently seen this little story on Facebook.



The rest of the weekend was spent working on squares for a Block of the Month project Mary & Sharon and I are doing with our friends in Cornucopia.  Each month Myrna sends us a pattern.
I've decided to do all of mine in red and white fabrics, with little regard to pattern.

So far I have January, February, March and April completed.
I also had a wise idea to make 2 of each block, seemed so smart at the time, but now I'm not sure what I'll do with those, I guess I can always make runners out of the spares.

January

February

March

April

Some of these blocks are not much to look at, I'll have to use some black sashing & cornerstones to tie them all together.  It will be fun to see the 12 blocks next year.

Like I said, not as many completed projects as last year, but my sewing machine got serviced and I had a nice time with my sewing pals and the rest of the campers.

Already planning for the next one in the fall.

Happy sewing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails