Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My 5 year hiatus ends

It had been 5 years since I had played a round of golf.  I think I played the week before I left Colorado in September of 2008 and then my next tee time was last week in Cochrane, WI.  Roche & LeAnna were home visiting their family in Waumandee.  I took the opportunity to stay with Kris, Lora & Anders.  Kris and Lora live so close to Waumandee, it made for nice visiting options.
I arrived on Tuesday afternoon, the wind was blowing and it was in the 90s.  I met up with Roche, LeAnna and their brother John at Walnut Grove GC in Cochrane.  I rode in the cart with Roche and drank beer and tended the pin, while the other 3 golfed.  But on Wednesday, I was brave and played 18 the Roche and LeAnna.  Walnut Grove is a nice course nestled in a hilly farm community.  I enjoyed the scenery and my golf wasn't too bad for a 5 year gap in play.
I can't believe I didn't take a single photo, I might be slipping.
***
My visit with Kris, Lora and Anders was great.
I really enjoy spending time with this family.  The atmosphere at their house is always mellow and relaxed.
Anders is getting to be a big boy and it is interesting to hear what he has to say.
I arrived later in the evening on Tuesday, Anders had just had a shower, but when I got there, he dropped his towel and grabbed a plant to hand to me as a gift.
A person can't grab a camera quick enough to capture a scene like that.
Naked 4 year old handing geranium to Great Auntie...
What a nice treat from Anders.
The next day, Anders was headed off to a field trip with his school class.  His Dad, Kris, was one of the chaperones.  I like that sometimes Dads can do this kind of duty with kids.
Ready to leave for school and his field trip.
After everyone had headed off for their day, I took a trip to Buena Vista Park just above Alma, overlooking Lake Pepin and the mighty Mississippi.
I always appreciate this view, regardless of my many visits there.
This day I was listening to the birds and watching to see what I could see, when I was delighted to see a rare bird, the Red Headed Woodpecker.
Not the best of photos, but the best on that I could get.
This is a bird I have only seen once before, so it was quite a thrill to see 3 or 4 of them in the park.
There were plenty of robins around as well.
The view from this overlook is spectacular and a little frightening.
Lake Pepin
Anders is really fun to be around.
He and I sat on the deck chatting.
Anders was telling me how old he was and how old the adults are.
 Daddy & Mommy are 12.
Anders is 4, almost 5.
Great Aunt Wanda is 60.
 Anders was very proud that he could count all the way to sixty.
And yes, I feel old sometimes.

Like most little kids, Anders wanted to 'show me something'.
He's a brave kid so of course he has to stand on the tire swing.
***
The next day I headed back to Buena Vista to see if I could see the Red Headed Woodpeckers again, it was a sunnier day.
I could hear woodpeckers hammering away in the woods, but saw none.  There were others in the park with dogs and kids, so I think that kept the birds in the woods.
A sunny view of Lake Pepin
There were several Chipping Sparrows around.
They don't seem to be too worried about a few people.
It is a view worth revisiting with lots of seating to spend some time.
You never know what might fly by, I saw several Buzzards/Vultures circling below.
Panoramic shot of the overlook
It is always fun to see a bluebird, and completely unexpected I barely captured this beauty.
The view across the river from the Buena Vista lookout.

This park is visited by many, but on many days, it is a private spot to spend some time.

Nuthatches were busy
 On my drive home from Kris and Lora's, I took a different route.  I drove East on County Road N out of Pepin and made my way to Durand.  On the way I passed the Tiffany Bottoms Wildlife Area.  An area chock full of birds and other animals.  
I only paused long enough to take a few pictures, but I hope to go back and explore a bit.
Over looking Tiffany Wildlife Area.
 The woods are covered in trilliums now and I stopped to take a few pictures.
If you've never seen trillium season in Wisconsin, it is hard to explain.
Sometimes it looks like snow on the grown when there are so many blooms.
I love these flower.
A true miracle of spring.
It was a great trip.
Always fun to visit with the Rosenows and it was nice to be with Kris and Lora while we waited to hear the news of our cabin.  We have spent time there together and were concerned and then sure we had lost it and finally joyful to hear that the firemen had saved The Sandcastle.
Life is Good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails