Thursday, July 25, 2024

Childless, crazy cat lady

 The Republican party has decided to ridicule women who are childless by calling them childless, crazy cat people. 

The news has continued to talk about the 'scourge' of being childless and while many women have stepped up who have wanted to give birth but were unable, which I respect immensely, there hasn't really been representation from those of us who remain childless by design.  It is no accident that I never had children, it is no accident that I never married, it took effort and it took planning.  And I am not sad. I have no regrets.  And those who want to consider me 'less than' because of my life choices, they can drop dead. Sooner than later, I hope.

Kamala Harris is the presumptive Democratic presidential candidate. She has lead the chant "we are not going back". 

She has my vote.

I have said it before....to protect women, elect women.

Vote 💙 

I'm not done on this soapbox.  This is my Facebook posting on the topic.  

Posted on the afternoon of 7/26/2024

I take purposeful care to avoid posting anything politically partisan here (on FB) as I am not interested in challenging anyone else's candidate choice, while arguing in the social media circus ring. I learned some lessons in 2016.
You do you, I'll do me.

I do 'like' the occasional posting that is just too good to pass up. Get over it.

But, when I hear male politicians criticizing and devaluing my life because I didn't have children, it completely pisses me off. Now, I am going to take a few hundred keystrokes to express my opinion of that rhetoric.

My life is not 'less than' or sad, because I chose to be single and took care to not have children. In fact, my life is full with family and friends and my other life interests that bring me joy. If my choice doesn't measure up on some one else's measuring stick, well, tough shit.

I am comfortable in my love of self and family. I believe that all humans should have the right to decide how to live this life.

I have always felt that I had the right to pursue success regardless of man-made barriers.
Title IX removed a few barriers to girls & to women in 1972. (A fact that I continue to appreciate as I cheer on my nieces & nephews who play all manner of sports.)

It hasn't always been easy to be a single woman, in my work career, in my home life. Proving myself to those who held narrow views of a woman's ability was built into my work performance. Living as an independent woman, in my own space, made me happy.
(Don't forget, before 1974, women had to have their husband's permission to have their own credit.)

I am not an old maid, or spinster. I am a single, successful woman, by choice. I didn't take a man's job away from him. I chose a career in a field where women can, and have made, positive change.

I love my friends and family who are raising children. But I never wanted to do it.

I want birth control to be widely available, only accepted in the mid 1970s as a woman's health care choice, just as I believe in a man's choice to have a vasectomy.

It was never my choice, but I want IVF, adoption, surrogacy or other avenues of family planning to be available to all.

You do you, I'll do me.
If that doesn't work for you, look in your mirror to figure out why, do not look at me.

Meanwhile, you can count on me to love my family, friends, & their kids. I also love my country, and I will cast my vote accordingly, while caring for my cat and posting videos of birds - deer.

Not going back.

(Okay, I maybe used a few thousand keystrokes. 
You probably didn't read this far anyway.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails