Friday, June 12, 2015

Inquiring minds

Anders, who is 6, is curious about things going on in his world.
On Sunday night, I was visiting with his Mom and he came in from outdoors carrying a geranium bloom.  He handed it to his Mom.  She thanked him but then told him that it smelled so strong that she wanted him to take it back outside.  She asked me if I could smell it, of course, I couldn't.  But, I took the flower and held it up to my face with my nose buried in the blooms and took a deep smell.  And, I could not smell it.  I vaguely remember what geraniums smell like though.  It's weird to have a memory of a smell but not be able to actually smell the live flower.
It's called Anosmia.   Anosmia (/ænˈɒzmiə/) is the inability to perceive odor or a lack of functioning olfaction.
I've had it for about 30 years now.  It's fairly rare, most of the time it is a trauma related problem, but mine is genetic.  I remember my Mom having the same thing.

So, back to Anders.  I forget that he is a sponge and hears everything we say.
A few minutes after the geranium conversation, 
Anders went in the bedroom and wrote a note to his Mom.
Making it an official note asking Mom to sign it.
Well, I tried to explain it to him, but mostly his take away was that my smeller doesn't work.
He's my little buddy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails