Friday, May 30, 2014

Day lily freebies

My East Luck friends, Gary & Mary Erickson, have a huge garden of day lilies, more than 3000 I think.  They generously offer their gardens for viewing in July when all the flowers are at their peak, and they offer free lily roots to anyone willing to come and get them in the Spring.  
I transplanted 5 clumps of day lilies from their gardens about 4 years ago, and have enjoyed the beautiful blooms ever since.
On Thursday, I went back for more.
Gary and I dug up about 12 clumps of lily roots.  He is concerned about what colors I want, I could care less.  He says I should care about having a variety of colors, I say, free is fine, what color they are can be a surprise.  After we finished the digging, we took time for a couple of cold Coors Lights and a good chat while sitting in his yard admiring his many hundred annuals that he has already planted, and not ONE weed in sight.  It was a fun afternoon.
Friday, I delivered 4 clumps of those lilies to Glenn and Kathy at their Lake Cottage.
Vinny and Jake were there at the cottage too, both on the deck as I drove in.
Right when I got out of my car, Great great nephew Vinny held his hands up to his eyes like binocs and said, "I spy you with my little eye Wanda".  It made me laugh.
Vinny is 4, but he sounds and acts old, one of those 'old soul' little kids.
Legos are the deal.
Jake was holding up some kind of Lego mechanism, I'm sure he knew what it was.
 Great nephew Jake has an older brother, Jackson, who is a Lego guy too, so he knows the ropes.
I love that little kids will play with these toys and make up their own stories, mostly about battles and getting the bad guys, but creative play none the less.

Blurry pic of Vinny, but he did show me his Lego 'guy' and horse and told me the names, I've forgotten, but will add them later.
It was a bonus to see these little boys and have a visit with Glenn and Kathy.
It was a lovely day, and even though the pontoon boat was ready to go, they didn't want to stop their yard work to go for a ride.  Another time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails